What do you know about your county government?
Do you consider yourself well informed about the duties of elected representatives of courthouses?
Test your understanding of local government by taking the following quiz.
1. County commissioners are elected by the districts which are drawn by lot on the basis of the population figures established by the federal census. How many districts are currently in the Washington County Commission?
2. How many women are currently on the Washington County Commission?
3. Which high-level elected office in the Washington County Courthouse is not on the ballot next year?
A. County Clerk
C. Register of acts
D. Property appraiser
4. True or False: The Circuit Court Clerk is appointed by the judges of the Criminal Court.
5. What is the primary duty of the county sheriff as outlined in the Tennessee Constitution?
A. Protect and Serve.
B. Manage a prison.
C. Fighting crime.
D. Arrest of offenders.
6. What key position at the courthouse is occupied by the Chancellor?
A. Registrar and master
B. Absenteeism officer
C. County Clerk
All the foregoing.
7. True or False: The county mayor has administrative control over all courthouse functions.
8. The duties of the county trustee include:
A. Tax collection.
B. Receive and disburse county funds.
C. Manage the county treasury.
All the foregoing.
9. The post of mayor of the county was formerly called:
A. County Executive
B. County Tsar
C. County Regent
D. County Chief
10. The main function of the County Deeds Register is:
A. Collect parking fees.
B. Monitoring the capacity of landfills.
C. Record and keep legal documents such as powers of attorney, mortgages, liens and real estate transactions.
D. None of the above.
Additional Credit: How many members sit on the Washington County Board of Education?
Answers: 1. C; 2. B (These are Jodi Jones and Suzy Williams.); 3. D (This office will be on the ballot in 2024); 4. False (The position is filled by voters.); 5. B .; 6. A; 7. False (The county mayor does not control the internal operations of other elected courthouse offices.); 8. D; 9. A; 10. C and additional credit: A.