American Cities with the Lowest Property Crime Rates – 24/7 Wall St.
Of all the most serious crimes the FBI has identified – known as Part I offenses – property crimes related to theft are by far the most common. A total of 6.5 million property crimes were reported in the United States in 2020, resulting in the theft of tens of billions of dollars in property, of which only a fraction was recovered.
Property crimes fall into one of three categories: theft, burglary and vehicle theft. These violations represent more than 80% of the most serious offenses identified and reported by the FBI. Violent crime, on the other hand, represents less than 20%.
Theft is defined as the illegal taking of property – pick-pocketing and shoplifting being two common examples – and is the most common form of property crime in the United States. Burglary, defined as the illegal entry of a structure to commit a crime, such as theft, is the most serious form of property crime tracked by the FBI. Vehicle theft, on the other hand, is a crime that can be either theft or attempted theft of a vehicle, such as a car, motorcycle or ATV.
Although property crime is relatively prevalent in the United States, there are areas of the country where such crimes are less common and residents are much less likely to be victimized.
Using data from the 2020 FBI Uniform Crime Report, 24/7 Wall St. identified the 50 cities with the lowest property crime rates. Cities are ranked according to the number of reported property crimes per 100,000 population. Only towns with more than 25,000 inhabitants were taken into account.
In each city on this list, the property crime rate is less than one-third of the national rate of 1,958 incidents per 100,000 population. The majority of the cities on this list are in the northeast, with 15 in Massachusetts alone.
Click here to see cities with the least property crime
Click here to see our detailed methodology